Monday, July 18, 2005

Tasty

I was on a bit of a cooking spree yesterday. I think it was primarily a menstrual thing (have cramps - must cook tasty food!) but really, you wish you were eating at my house last night.

I'm getting over the cold John picked up on the airplane, so I've been feeling pretty lousy. For me, that means I like to make comfort food. And we had a whole day were our most pressing plan was to put away clean laundry and buy propane for the barbecue. We managed both of those, and a bit more. I also made food. Good food.

For breakfast, we had soy milk pancakes and real maple syrup. They were tasty, but could use a bit more egg. The taste of almond extract went well with the vanilla in the soy and the extra vanilla I added.

We had some rhubarb in the fridge, so I took some and made rhubarb pecan (with orange juice) muffins. Tasty and crunchy, though a bit too cakey for my taste - I like my muffins to contain fiber. Good though.

I made some of my famous focaccia bread - and I tried making two buns out of the dough, plus a loaf sprinkled with sea salt and garden fresh rosemary. They worked unbelievably well, and were perfect with the chicken burgers John barbecued. A simple Montreal Chicken Spice rub to coat, some time on the the grill, and tasty perfection. The burgers consisted on bun, chicken and tomatoes, and were better than you can imagine. To go with, I made a simple salad of romaine, garden fresh green onions and red pepper. The dressing? The juice of 3 fresh limes, 2 garden fresh green onions, a few tablespoons of garden herbs (dill, tarragon and lemon basil), canola oil and some french mustard. Also divine (and tart!).

For dessert, because muffins were for breakfast, I took the rest of the rhubarb and made rhubarb crisp from my mother's recipe. Because there was not enough rhubarb left, I made 4 ramekins instead of a 9" pan, but I made the same amount of topping because really, isn't the topping the best part? They were so good - the hard part was waiting for them to cool enough to eat.

So in conclusion, don't you wish you were at my house last night?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home