Monday, August 08, 2005

At least I'm productive...

So it's been a busy week. We went to BC for 5 days, and then I came home and took a week off work. Then off for 24 hours with the relatives in Medicine Hat.

During the day of my week off I would paint, and at night we would make jam. And more jam. More accurately, I would spend endless hours prepping the bathroom before making jam. God. That was so the worst part. And the previous owner of the house? A lovely woman. Excellent at doing wallpaper. And a really shitting painter. I probably spent a good 25 minute scraping up old brush bristles out of the paint. Instead of removing things and painting everything, she just painted up to the toilet and mirror. I, of course, took the room apart. I didn't know how easy it is to take apart a toilet - and now I've done it. Ditto with prep, painting, the use of rollers, buying paint, returning paint when it turns out the paint is actually a weird watery grey glaze instead of a pretty black semi-gloss opaque paint. (Just the black, though. The white, grey and primer were all fine.) There was tears on Friday, but otherwise, things went okay. Still so not done. Have only managed to paint: all white trim, plus white built-in vanity thing and all it's drawers and cupboards; paint closet 3 plus primer layers of paint, ditto on one side of the shelves. Still need to finish other side of the shelves, and the walls. And frustratingly enough, considering the power is out and the toilet doesn't work, seeing the tank is on the deck, we can't use that bathroom.

And tonight I'm at Cathy and Vince's, tomorrow my parents, Wednesday we have to go pick this mirror Mirror, Thursday is yoga, Friday is Christine's going away party, Saturday all day is supposed to be Christine's going away stuff, Sunday is Phil's housewarming party and we're already at next week. I need someone to please slowdown the merry go round my life is. Our bathroom will lay in chaos from Friday night until at least Monday night more than a week later. Well, maybe I can get up early on Sunday at sneak a few hours of work in. Also? Our house is disgusting. We haven't cleaned since before we went to Mexico, which was the first week of JULY. It's awful. It's both dirty and messy. However, this week's schedule is about normal, and John's working 1-2hours of overtime every single day in an effort not to be sent to Fort McMurray, and there is just not enough time! Stress.

We made jam. And then more jam, and then some more. Let's see: peach jam, ginger peach jam, peach marmalade, peach butter, cherry peach jam, two batches of peachstone jelly (made out of the leftover skins and pits), and balsamic preserved peaches. We've eaten them, barbequed them, frozen 5 bags of sliced peaches, made small baggies of mushed peaches for muffins, made peach crisp. I even ate one naked in the shower and got covered in juice. Oh, and just for kicks I also made a couple of jars of preserved lemons for our Moroccan recipes. So the kitchen is in total chaos. The jam is fabulous, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home