Wednesday, April 20, 2005

So I might be buying a house tonight

I'm very tired today. I had my first true 'Oh my god, I'm moving to the suburbs and I'm 23' freak out last night. We're going to go meet with our real estate guy tonight to draft up an offer for a big 4 bedroom house in the suburbs. 99th Avenue south east! I grew up on 3rd Avenue north west. My mental map of Calgary didn't even extend that far south until I was, well, with John.

Wow. One year ago this week I was writing my last final exams. It's been one hell of a year: graduating university, getting a real job, moving out, buying a house... John has promised that after this, we don't have to make any more big changes for a few years and the have kids, which will change everything. Of course we'll get married in the mean time, but after living together for a few years first, I'm hoping it's more like a great party than a massive lifestyle change.

I'm not good at change. At all. Which is probably why I ended up sobbing last night in bed about how I don't want to move to the suburbs. (I grew up a 10 minute walk from downtown, on major transit routes. I have a slightly unstable fear of suburbs - especially those new, ugly, uniform ones which you know you could easily end up trying to get in the wrong house because it looks exactly like yours.) Of course, the proponent of rational thinking I share a bed with talked me down and with his annoyingly logical and rational approach to life, made me feel better, and we talked about all the founded fears I could have instead of the unfounded fears which are so much more dramatic.

My boyfriend keeps me sane and loves me anyway. I really do win here.

Even if I could kill for a cookie right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home