Thursday, August 11, 2005

Tasty little dinner

Sigh. The problems of dating people who aren't orphans. Oh well.

It's been another exceedingly busy week at our house, and the weather has been ghastly. Highs of 15, being able to see your breath at lunch time, endless rain and that kind of thing. So last night I wanted comfort food, and after reading The Julie/Julia Project (http://blogs.salon.com/0001399/) all day, I was thinking French food. Really simple and warm French food. Especially because when I got home I felt frozen from the short walk and immediately made tea and changed into warm fleece clothing. Dinner was basic: French onion soup and Oeuf Cocotte (http://chocolateandzucchini.com/archives/2003/12/oeuf_cocotte.php) and was beyond delicious. Mine had ham, tomatoes, fresh garden dill, real Parmesan cheese and eggs in adorable little ramekins.

I grew up with a complete aversion to soft eggs. I'm trying to overcome it, because I know they can actually be pretty tasty, but it's a slow process. I'm working on getting over all my food prejudices, not that there are many. Mushrooms (ick, that texture!), soft eggs, brussel sprouts (god, the way Cathy cooks them there is no hope), green beans (had fabulous ones in BC). I started to adore interesting cheese about a year before I became lactose intolerant, which sucks. Man, I love blue cheese now. Too bad it doesn't love me back.

I love (food) blogs. Makes passing a slow day at work so much more fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home