Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Evil mushrooms

So. Cathy brought a weird maitake mushroom back from her vacation. It looked disgusting:
Mushroom

(I hate mushrooms. I'm trying to learn to like them, but it is slow going. I'm coming around, but I still abhor the texture of fungus.) The internet tells me this is a very special wonderful mushroom indeed, but whatever. Like a good person, I cooked up the mushroom in the best way I knew, which was mushroom risotto. A combination of my standard risotto recipe, this recipe and a broth made out of leftover poaching chicken broth, my turkey stock cubes and mushrooms. Topped with some mushrooms fried in oil and butter, and some crisped prosciutto that was growing tired in the fridge. Added some butter, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. It was SO GOOD. I actually praised myself, and then made John praise me. Unbelievably good.

Mushroom risotto

You may sense a 'but' coming. (Hee.)

I loved it. My body? Thought it ate straight up poison. I'll TMFI here and say that I have never smelled such toxic gas in my entire life. Beyond gross. And then this morning, I barely made it to work before running to the bathroom. And then again, every half hour, until there was no food left. And then for part of the afternoon after that anyway. God. It was so gross.

I called my mother to tell her that not only did I give myself food poisoning, it's John's mother's fault. She laughed and laughed. (Cathy used to send John to school with moldy lunches and other such crimes against food.) But seriously, I was pretty pissed off, especially as John wasn't sick at all.

However, Wikipedia tells me that some people are allergic to them. God, what where the odds on that one? I feel much better. I'm just hoping when the soup I ate at lunch hits my intestines that I am not sick again...

****
Who knew that if you stopped watering your garden in the beginning of August because all the onions greens died that the onions would grow anyway?
Garden onions

Aren't they beautiful??
Garden onions, close view

****
The canning:
Canning
The close up:
Pickels, corn relish and relish

2 Comments:

At 12:38 p.m., Blogger Sara said...

I think I heard of those mushrooms on Iron Chef. Never seen them in real life though.
Your canning is excellent! I can see garlic in some of those pickles... I've only tried making dills once and it sucked. I had to throw them all away.

 
At 9:44 a.m., Blogger Morgan said...

But there must be garlic! I'm pretty sure it's law, as written by my mother. I used her recipe and had her help, so I'm hoping they work out. She's been making pickles every few years for my whole life, so fingers crossed.

I'm told the usual culprits are not icing the cukes or not using the alum. But who knows? Canning still seems mysterious to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home