Friday, May 13, 2005

Sigh

You know you're weird when you're sitting at work, jealous of your boyfriend, not because he gets every second Friday off, but because he is currently hanging out with my parents.

No, I'm serious. I just called him back to find out they're all on their way to Lina's Italian Market for lunch. And I had leftover pasta and a cup of soup for lunch. There had better be some from of treat for me later.

It's actually the 3 time in as many Friday's off that this has happened. John's dealing with the bank, given he has time off work when they're actually open. The bank happens to be my bank, chosen in large part because groaning up it was less than two blocks from the house. We now have our mortgage through them, because the rates are the same compared to all the other major banks, including his, but mine came with Pat. Pat is the lovely woman at the bank who has ben there for as long as I can remember, and she actually knows stuff. And does things. And explains, and doesn't try to screw us over randomly. Example: John's bank appears to have trademarked the phrase Zero Chance, and it does not mean no chance. John was inquiring about some fine print, and asked her what the possibility of said bad thing happening. He was told there was Zero Chance. Given that's not what my bank had said, he pressed further, and in fact, his bank person knew of several times said bad thing had occurred, thus taking it from zero chance to happens more often than they want to admit. She kept using that phrase, and being as evasive as possible. Pat laid everything on the table, the good, the bad and the ugly. Needless to say, we went with the honest one.

At any rate, because my parent's neighbourhood has such heavy parking restrictions, he parks at their house, borrows a parking pass, and walks to the bank. And then, most days it seems, he spends the rest of the afternoon there and makes me jealous.

See, I like my parents. They are nice, and weird, and fun. They also talk, which is something you don't always find. Like with John's parents - I sometimes start to random babble just to fill the room. I called his cell a while ago, and he blew me off pretty quickly - I could hear the conversation going on around him.

Actually, I can't complain too much. On Mother's Day, we spent the day with his mom's family, and then after trying to buy a water heater, I left him with his dad's family for the evening, and went home to my parents and sister. I totally won. The highlight of his evening was asking his (former model, super vain, age defying, surgery loving, constantly dieting) aunt her age. She totally flipped on him and starting screaming about how rude he is. The highlight of mine? Way better food and 2 hours of hysterical domino playing. He called at one point and I could barely hear him over the laughter around me.

Look, I know I'm a big looser, but I like my parents, my family, the way things are. But I do, and so does John. And then, tonight we spend with his family. I think we might just need a life... Then again, after borrowing 21,000 from his father, the least we can do is be grateful and hang out with them. Well, that and pay it back with interest, as we'll be doing starting July 15.

He had better buy me something tasty to make up for getting to have all the fun...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home