Monday, June 05, 2006

Nuts?

Every Sunday night that I possibly can, I cook a nice dinner. The families know that Sunday night is off limits, barring birthdays and out of town relatives. So every Sunday I make a nice meal and we hang out and watch tv and relax. It's a good time, and I've cooked some pretty nice meals over the last few months. They range from a full curry feast to basic but fabulous things, like last night's asparagus risotto. (Yes, I know that asparagus season is mostly over, but the peas in the back yard haven't quite broken through the soil yet - it's a long way to garden pea risotto season.) I do this because I love to cook. However, I am beginning to wonder if I'm not going a little Martha here.

The thought occurred to me as I was making the risotto, pouring hot stock that I'd made an hour earlier with some leftovers from the fridge - half an onion, some tired baby carrots, a lone stick of celery, and of course the broken ends from the asparagus. I, without even thinking about it, made homemade vegetable stock to add to my risotto. It seemed perfectly normal to me, but halfway through, I realized I could never tell anyone I work with about it. As it is, they call me things like Betty Crocker and are bemused and surprised by my cooking. Making your own (really delicious) risotto is odd enough without making the vegetable stock to go with it.


In other news, it's been one year since we moved into our house and I regularly give thanks on how freaking lucky we got. We got a fabulous, lovely house in a great neighbourhood at what then seemed like a huge chunk of change, though still good value for the price. A quick MLS search of the neighbourhood reveals only one similar house - and it's going for $110,000 more than what we paid! And given the crazy market around here, will go for more than that. For 30k more than what we paid, we could get a half duplex in the icky side of the neighbourhood. Hell, for the price of our silly large 4 bedroom house with a huge lot, in the south you can now buy like, condos. Shit, but did we get lucky. So yay us, I guess. Not that in any way are we planning on flipping this fabulous house, but it still gives a warm feeling inside. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home