Books, glorious books
25 out of 100. Not bad, considering. 5 of the top 10, including both of the series.I missed Banned Books week by a few days, but a read down the list shows that I haven't missed to many challenged books. I actually recognize about half the books, but I'm not a horror fan so have never read a Stephen King book. (This does not in any way mean I think someone else shouldn't. I'm just jumpy enough as it is.) It just blows my mind that so many books get challenged in America every year. (Hmm. I wonder if the rates are lower in Canada? We call it Freedom To Read week and it's in February. I can't find numbers, but it looks like a lot less.)
I can't imagine banning a book. I can easily choose not to read certain books (see King, Stephen) but that's my choice for me. Terrible to think that some angry parent group should have that choice. I was reading this and was startled to come across the concept of an Adult library card. I guess technically I have one, but that's because it's free in Calgary until you are 13, then it's like $5/year until you are an adult, when it's $12. But there are no restrictions on books. Trust me. I would have been so in trouble if there were.
I remember a day when I was maybe 12. I had pretty much read my way through the kid's section and my mother asked the librarian if there was anything else I might like. I remember her gauging me, asked my age. Then she kind of shrugged, and led me to the Sci Fi section. I was so excited, you have no idea. Big thick fun books! A whole new genre with a new and endless selection! It was fabulous. I read all the standards that you read at that age Anne McCaffery, Mercedes Lackey, Piers Anthony...
Then as now, I read almost anything I could get my hands on. Still do. Hell, I probably read more now that there is no homework and I spend an hour on the train reading. I think I'm around the 170 mark for this year already. I love books and the though of people trying to ban them makes me queasy. If you don't like it, don't read it.

1 Comments:
I checked out the banned books list and was shocked to see A Light in The Attic. How bizare that shel silverstien is on it. Its cool that u read so much.
Post a Comment
<< Home