Thursday, May 24, 2007

Best exercise class, ever. Hands down. (er, up. on the pole...)

There's nothing like the feeling of being able to awe an audience.

I was at my pole dancing class last night, where I am in the level 4 class - the first level 4 class taught in Calgary studio, ever. (In fact, we're on their case now about letting us know when they're going to be teaching the next level because we're all so damn impatient.) And, of course, being the most advanced makes us a little showoffy in general. Though considered in the 5 inch heels and short shorts we dance in, showing off is not so surprising...

Our class starts at 7, and as we went in, the class that started at 6 was just finishing, doing community pole. The class that had been before us last week was the end of a level 3 class, so they didn't pay that much attention to us, other than to get a peak at what they'd be learning next time, and we only paid attention to criticise their shoes and lack of spirit. Well, this week, the class before us was the very first class of a level one class. *grin* You should have seen their faces as we dropped out pants and laced on the shoes and boots. Then, after they were finished on the poles, we started to show off, because we can. The group, as one, sat down on the benches and watched us for more than 10 minutes. Quite the little ego boost.

I've been doing these classes for 25 weeks, though the first 6 weeks were last fall in the old studio, and I have had my own pole to practice on for almost that long. So after some rough early patches (oh push-pull hand grip, how you hurt me! Between the forearm strain and the bruises on both knees from falling so many times, I thought I would never figure it out. How, it's practically second nature.), I've become pretty proficient. I can flip up by myself, while wearing the heavy shoes, without much effort. I've learned how to let go once I'm up there and to flip my torso around so i can walk out on my hands. (I just have to learn to let my thighs let go - the first time I tried I got stuck in mid air, upside down with my thighs sticking to the pole something fierce. I was by myself in the house, so there wasn't a spotter. I cursed the tearing flesh loudly the whole painful, slow way down.) I can do the flying spiral - though I did fly so much I um, damaged the paint on the wall of the studio last night, so maybe i don't have to fly that far out. I can do all sorts of spins and walks and I've only almost fallen on my face once. (I was trying a backwards showgirls, but didn't have the balance or the hands right, and barely caught myself as I fell face first towards the floor. Graceful and classy. We all had a laugh and kept going.

That's one of my favourite part of the classes. The 4 of the 5 of us have been together since level 2, so we've bonded a certain amount, and at least are comfortable enough to laugh around each other, as well as to cheer each other on. It's a good vibe.

Plus, it's the single most fun form of exercise, ever. (Okay, that I've tired, but I've tried many things.) It's a great ab workout, and my arms are becoming crazy strong. Also, the heels make everyone's legs and ass look great. The only trick is to never to stand too close to the mirrors and look at your thighs in the hot pants. Cellulite happens, and dwelling on it will get no one anywhere. Much better to just admire your ass and leave it at that.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 9:28 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

where are the classes held? I am looking to jion and have only foudn your post so far...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home