A nice year for a white wedding...
So I'm freaking out here, some what irrationally, I know. I mean, we've been out of high school for almost 8 years now. Most of us have been free from post secondary for at least a while. Some of them are established in careers. A few of us even have mortgages. So we've grown up, more or less. I guess.
So why does it freak me right out that everyone is getting engaged? J & ? got engaged on Valentine's Day. (We haven't met him yet, and I forget his name. Bad Morgan.) M & O got engaged over the New Year. E & D got engaged in December. That's like, all but one of my friends who's in a serious relationship. [I wrote most of this last week, and since then? That friend has got engaged. Seriously.]
A few weeks ago, I ran in to a school friend, who has a grade ahead of me, so he's 26 or 27. He was with his very pregnant 20 year old wife, who seemed really nice. I think. I was pretty busy mentally hyperventilating about M.C. having a human child. Eek. Just saying that freaks me out a little. Part of the problem is that I still feel about 15 most of the time. The pretty severe depression I've been trying to swim out of really doesn't help the maturity thing. 15 year olds aren't ready for marriage!
Listen, it's not commitment phobia. Not exactly. I've been with John for more than 5 years. We've lived together for more than 2 and a half. Heck, we bought a house about this time of year two years ago. I have no real doubts about our future together - a future I want. The marriage and the kids and the growing old and nerdy together. All that. Just... not quite yet. We're too young! I don't know. Maybe it's just the depression that's screwing up my perspective. Most of these people will turn 25 or 26 this year - not exactly children by global standards. Maybe it's that at least a third of the books and stuff that I read seems to be set in New York, where "everyone" seems to get married in their late 30s. "Most" people in Calgary seem to have kids between their late 20s and early 30s, so this is more or less on target for the average, sweeping generalization that I just made, which is mainly based on the middle class corporate people I work with and know. So normal for my demographic, I guess.
[insert time passing, as I really am having trouble with how to verbalize all this] I know some people will jump to the conclusion that it's because i have doubts about John. That's not it, I can assure you. I could see if he had doubts about me (depression is currently coupled with self loathing and bitchy behaviour), but I don't think that's it. I am pretty sure it's some rather ridiculous denial about growing up.
Also, at this point? We totally can't do it. I mean, there will already be 4 weddings next year. As John said in an email yesterday, "part of me wants to join the boat so we're not _that_ couple, but part of me is like 'shut up you sheep, where's the spotlight if you're the pre-reserved wedding for the month of july in between d's june and l's august or whatever.' i'm still a bit of an attention whore and i don't want to get on this train quite yet." Plus, we're close but not quite done paying off his parents the money they loaned up for the house. Refuse to do anything until that's done. Hard to be saving/paying for a wedding at the same time we pay $1000/month to them. So that's my reasons. I'm a little calmer now then when I started this. As in, I think I'll be okay when the eventual time comes, and that I am okay with the time not being now. So what if the other couples have only been together for 4 months through less than 2 years, and we've been together for 5? It works for us, and we're both happy, so that's enough. That's more than enough.

4 Comments:
It seems like things go in cycles for certain people. I have one friend who grew up in Saskatoon and has a lot of Christian friends and so they were all getting married around ages 20 - 22. She was going back to Sask. every second weekend it seemed like for two years to attend/be in weddings. (Needless to say, she isn't married yet). It seems that in Calgary the age is between 24-25. I know one girl who got married at 24 and ALL of her friends were getting married around the same time. So what John said about sheep - that sums it up in my mind too. If I got married at 25 I would have married the wrong person in the midst of a severe depression. I think waiting until the time is right for you is the best way to do it. For the record, I was 28 when the Mister and I got married and had no married friends at the time. I still have almost no married friends - I wonder if that says something about me or them.
My two cents: get married when it feels right for you. Attending all those weddings this year will give you some good ideas about what you do and don't want at your own celebration!
My roommate (who is 22) is getting married in less than two months. It *completely* weirds me out. Neither she nor her husband know what they want to do or where they want to go in life. I'm like, how can you possibly want to get married when you haven't even figured that out? Blah. At any rate, I understand how weird it must be. It's already starting for me, and I'm not even out of college. I mean, I sit here looking at these kids and I KNOW them, and I'm thinking, "There's no way you are ready for a lifetime commitment." Pah. I know I'm certainly not.
I know how you're feeling. I went to about 4 weddings this year and have another four this year. It seems like everyone in my world, like yours, is getting married. I guess you can never judge whether or not people are ready to get married. Marriage is both a leap of faith and a conscious decision that you must make daily.
I think you should only do it is you feel you are ready to face the daily decisions that come with marriage. It's not just a decision you make on your wedding day it;s one you choose to make everyday for the rest of your married life.
I think marriage is great, but as long as both people are willing to put in the effort to make things work out and to make things great. There's no point in being married and miserable.
Post a Comment
<< Home