Tuesday, July 31, 2007

So. Saudi Arabia, eh?

So I guess it's official now - time to start mentally dealing with it. Baring a failed medical, John's off to Saudi Arabia for 6-12 months. For work. With a maximum of three weeks leave time. Starting probably in September. So yeah. I'm staying as calm as possible. It's not easy, but what else, really, is there to do?

Logically, this is the best possible time. He will need to have spent at least a 8 months in the field to be promoted past a certain point. This is a good time - we've got the house and no move in sight (or, well, ever). We're not in the middle of planning a wedding. We're not pregnant. We don't have small children. This experience should pretty much guarantee that getting his stamp will be easy. The pay increase is decent. I'll probably fly out to visit him once, instead of him coming home, and let's face it - a week in Dubai is a little more exciting that driving through central Idaho. (I am not allowed to accompany him, and am strongly encouraged not to even try to enter the Kingdom, to meet elsewhere. So you know, travel. It's a great opportunity for him, especially at his age. I mean. Saudi Arabia! Beats the crap out of being sent back to Fort McMurray any day. (Even though he would be able to come home at least once a month...)

SO. I'm remaining calm and happy for him and calm. Did I mention I've chosen not to become upset the way I did all those years ago when he was sent to Ft Mac for the summer? Because I am. Calm.

(Actually, currently I am FAR MORE UPSET about having to go to Creston with his entire family, including Other Grandma and Mildly Gropey Grandpa than anything. I wonder if that's a 2 bottle of gin or 3 bottle of gin weekend?)

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 6:25 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting. The Mister and I were just talking about Saudi Arabia over lunch today. He is currently looking for work which could take us anywhere but I said I didn't want to go to Saudi and wasn't sure if families even got moved over there as a group anymore. Your post seems to somewhat answer my question.

And I say maybe bring a couple extra bottles this weekend!

*melanie from www.meli-mello.com

 
At 4:40 p.m., Blogger amy said...

how exciting! tell him to bring home some rugs! If you get to meet him in Dubai, that'd be awesome. Gold is cheap. Hopefully the time will pass quickly though. :D

 
At 10:14 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have found your blog via Serious Eats as you commented on my pickle "talk" post. Plan to read your archives!

 
At 8:13 p.m., Blogger ladyloo said...

Saudi Arabia. Damn!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home