Thursday, October 12, 2006

Lessons in Turkey

I feel that I am well allowed to comment on turkey, after this weekend's marathon. 3 turkey dinners in 3 days. I love turkey, but was so SICK of turkey by the end. God.

Now, the thing about Thanksgiving is that everyone wants it to be "traditional". At least, everyone I ate with. And traditional is great. I love traditional. For the first meal. By meal three? The severe lack of variation was bad. As I recap the meals, play 'spot the difference'.

Saturday. My mother's house. 8 people. One large, succulent turkey with the most delicious turkey skin, all salty, herbed and tasty. Eaten as the bird cooled. Bread stuffing with onions and celery. Deep brown, thick gravy made from drippings, potato water and flour. Mashed potatoes. Experiment brussel spouts (failed). Fake cheese and lactose free milk (yay!) cauliflower and broccoli casserole. And turnip casserole. White buns made by my sister. Excellent homemade cranberry sauce with orange and spice. Pumpkin pie and apple pie for dessert.

Sunday. John's mother's house. 4 people. One large, rather moist turkey with inedible turkey skin. I had to go carve the turkey for more dark meat during dinner. Bread stuffing with onions and rosemary. Deep brown watery gravy made from drippings, water and bisto. Mashed potatoes. Brussel spouts (I didn't even try, because they are usually beyond awful). Waterlogged boiled mini carrots. Plain baked sweet potatoes. Boiled peas. Good homemade cranberry sauce . Jello trifle for dessert.

Monday. John's aunt's house. 11 people. One large turkey with no turkey skin served. No dark meat made it to our spot around the table. Gross mushy bread stuffing . WHITE watery gravy made from who the hell knows, but not turkey drippings. Mashed potatoes. Brussel spouts (I didn't even try, because I didn't care). Asparagus that didn't make it to me. Plain baked sweet potatoes. Waterlogged cauliflower covered in fried bread crumbs and hardboiled eggs (my fav, as fried bread is good, and I hadn't already eaten it twice in the weekend). Over boiled green beans and mini carrots. Cranberry sauce from a can. 3 different cream desserts, plus an apple "dessert" with no sugar in it for me (Thanks for the gesture? But no. Desserts are supposed to be sweet. Everyone else's were. Also? Is that in insult or not? Everyone else gets sweet sugary creamy desserts and I get plain flour and apples. Grey area with these people and their habit of being insulting.)

In conclusion? Turkey is good in moderation. John's family must learn to cook veggies without boiling them to death. Soon. White gravy or whatever is was is an abomination. Jello is not a good dessert for the fall. Pie is. Everyone loves their mother's stuffing best. (Well, unless it's John's aunt's, which looked extruded.)

Also? Unless it's my mother's mu shoo turkey, I don't plan to eat another turkey for AT LEAST a month.

1 Comments:

At 10:01 a.m., Blogger Sara said...

3 turkey dinners! We barely had one. I made my mom cook the turkey, and it was evil and refused to cook. 7 hours in the oven and the dark meat was still bloody. We just pulled off the white meat and threw the rest away. That is exactly why I hate to cook turkey.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home