Monday, November 13, 2006

Chris Baty better be right about this no plot, no problem thing...

I don't think I've mentioned it yet, but I'm doing NaNoWriMo again. Bring on the crap writing! I'm a little behind - I have 17,517 words, so wish me luck. Also, the plot? Is amusingly tenuous and I have NO IDEA what should happen.

When I did NaNo in 2004, I wrote chick lit. An easy formula makes for slightly easier writing. This book? Is, um, I guess you could call it Urban Fantasy. Or would it be Urban Sci Fi? After all, there are aliens. I know, I know. It's goofy as all hell, but on the whole I'm having fun with it. I would have more fun if I knew what happens after we finish meeting feuding groups of aliens and, you know, the book started to have a plot? Or action? Or some clue of what the conflict is? Because, really, who wants to read a conflict free book?

At least I'm have character growth and amusing interpersonal dynamics, so I'm at least having fun with those scenes. It won't be a good book, I probably won't even bother to edit it much, but I do like the feeling of accomplishment. Also? When I was growing up, I had NO ABILITY to make up stories. None. My mom even sent me to a creative writing camp at Mount Royal College when I was maybe in junior high to try and make me better with no luck. When I was in elementary, I'm told that I would simply rehash and condense the last book I read. Normally without even noticing it. I have been trying very, very hard to avoid doing that this time.

See Morgan? Those 276 words weren't that hard. Now go write more about the aliens in Vegas! (Seriously. If you were an alien where else would *you* go?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home