You wouldn't belive how many passport stamps this resulted in
Oh, internet, there's so much to tell you! January was a whirlwind. 30 odd hours to get to the middle east, and 30 odd back, though I ended up having to stay away for 45 hours, a personal record, and man but did that fuck me up a little. I'm pretty sure I can blame this cold solely on it. Well, that, or that it's -30 outside, and wind chill this morning came in at -47. (-22 and -53, in American.)So. I trip through 3 and a bit countries (an desert adventure that veered us over Qatar's border into either Saudi or UAE, depending on who's map you would like to believe). Two stopovers in London, a few days in Bahrain, a several days in Qatar, and then a few more in Bahrain.
Camels. Men in thobes and head scarves. Women all in black, some with veils. Souqs and markets. The Largest Mall in the Middle East, for comparison. (And bowling. What they don't tell you is that the Middle East is actually really, really boring.) A landrover trying it's best to defy sideways gravity and inertia. Kilometer after kilometer walked. Rain and cold. (No desert heat to be found.) And then some more walking. Goofy things purchased at various souqs, like the Russian stacking dolls: a man as the big one, and his four wives inside. And a singing plush camel. A handful of brass camels. Tea from Harrods in London. A pearl pendant from Bahrain - the island of the pearl. Long walk through a museum, and mutual agreement that pottery shards = boring, and that a recreated 19th century souq with sound effects = awesome.
A small handful of pictures are up on flickr. We couldn't take too many - can't photograph people, hard to photograph anything in the street. So there are maybe 500 pictures, 200+ taken the day in the Qatar desert. Because baby camels? Cutest fucking thing that you've never seen.
Oh, yes. One more little thing came out of this trip:

4 Comments:
CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so excited for you both!!
delurking to say Congratulations!
Congratulations to you!!!
Congrats! I'm very happy for you.
Also, the Mister is temping for your company so if you think you see someone who looks like him - it is probably him (I mean really, who else is that blonde?) I don't think you two are in the same building though.
*melanie from www.meli-mello.com
Post a Comment
<< Home