Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Officially Too Much

It's official. We have made Too Much Jam. Well, too much jam and jelly, but that doesn't have the same ring, does it? And we're so not even done yet.
To recap: first there was the 55 pounds of peaches, which made many, many jars of things. Peach jam, peach ginger jam, peachstone jelly, peach marmalade, peach butter, peach cherry jam, balsamic peaches, frozen peach slices in the freezer, peach muffins, peach crisp and probably something else I am forgetting.
Then Saturday, I bought 7 liters of pears (no, I have no idea what that actually weighs in a useful measurement) for $3.99 at Safeway. It is a fair sized box - we're talking 30 pears, maybe? So yesterday, that became pear and apple jam, and it will probably become pear marmalade (because I love the marmalade) on Wednesday, and quite possibly a pear desert for this Sunday's going away/early Thanksgiving dinner.
Sunday, our neighbour gave us like 4 flats of little green apples from the tree in her backyard. John assures me that they aren't crap apples (which we can pick from her yard soon), but real apples. Whatever that means. So last night we made jelly until 1 in the morning, and boy am I tired. But it's okay. We have the aforementioned pear apple jam, as well as apple jelly with lemon basil, apple jelly with mint, the Barefoot Contessa's applesauce, but processed into jars so it will keep, plus apple hot pepper jelly. My hands still really hurt from cutting the peppers. I think that's about 23 jars total, a combination of 250ml and 500ml (1 and 2 cups, for the Americans). Plus all the peach stuff. Plus the stuff we still have to make. Plus the garlic jelly (something like this http://www.recipezaar.com/16269). And we still have a few hundred apples left, and her crab apple tree is full of the most delicious sweet red crab apples I've ever tasted, so there will probably be more apple jelly to come.

So, can you guess what everyone I know will be getting for Christmas?

1 Comments:

At 12:34 p.m., Blogger amy said...

Too Much Jam kind of sounds like a name for a rock or Jazz album or something. Even more so since you capitalized it. I'm jealous of your culinary skills! That all sounds fantastic!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home