Oh dear God
And what did we do until 1 am again last night? If you guessed MADE JAM, you would have won yourself a jar of jam. Don't worry. I have lots.Last we made apple ginger jam, spiced apple jam, apple marmadade and dutch apple pie jam (apple jam with spices and rasins, plus a little brown sugar for kick). And dear god, there are still MORE APPLES. This is my advice to you: when you nice neighbour offers you apples, say yes, but don't feel obliged to take all of them.
Oh no. I just had a thought - she still has another tree of crab apples! Such great apples too - the size of my thumb and oh so sweet and tart. But I'm tired of canning. Tired of steaming up the whole house, and tired of cutting and tired of burning myself with boiling sugar. Tired of standing on my feet running around for 5 hours. Tired of owning more jam than can ever been eaten by the two of us. (Anyone know what the shelf life of processed jam is?)
Also, between the endless Jam Fest (or should that be future Jam Feast?) and the endless reno-hell, our house has become a complete disater. The deck is still not finished, I haven't finished painting the chairs black because the weather has turned and I need at least +10oc heat, the shelves are unpainted in the garage because the garage is full of wood being cut and dust and grime. There are sanders everywhere, as I am halfway through sanding down a pine(?) shelf I ripped out of a house before it was torn down, and once it's all smooth I shall stain it. What else is on the go? Painting the laundry room, perhaps.
This house thing? Never lets up.

2 Comments:
I'll take your chairs for you... the weather here is still above 20--and that's just in the past few days. It's been around 30 ever since I got here. Two days with some scattered showers, but still hot and humid. I'm beginning to wonder if that gorgeous fall in New York that I keep hearing about is just a myth, and it's really just summer forever!
Here, I was thinking, I needed to email you because you hadn't updated in forever, but I check and you HAVE updated. Obviously your notify list just hates me.
I think homemade jam lasts a long time, but I am not 100% sure. I just seem to recall stories of one of my older female realatives have jars and jars for a long time.
Post a Comment
<< Home