Sunday, December 09, 2007

Come on - you know you want to eat fried bread

My only comment on this day, which on the whole, had not been great and I really, really have to work on my temper, among other things, is:

Yes, you can use spiced ground beef to fill stuffed and pan fried parathas (Indian bread) and it is really, really good.

I just wish he'd have been here to share them with.

To make the dough, mix 1 cup of durum flour with 1/2 cup of water. Mix well and then knead. Put back in the bowl, sprinkle a little water on top, and let sit for half an hour. Meanwhile, prepare the filling. This time, it was leftover fried ground beef with onions. Originally, it was spiced with a home made taco spice mix, but then I added a bunch of Indian spices, like ajwan seeds, cumin, garam marsala and some stuffed paratha seasoning. Plus some roughly chopped cilantro.

When the dough is ready, pinch off a small ball - maybe 2 inches across. Using more durum flour, roll out of the dough as thin as you can. Top with some of the meat mixture - say 4 heaping teaspoons. Carefully fold the dough closed, so that the meat is totally sealed inside. Sprinkle with more flour and roll is out as thin as you can, trying to stop before the meat pierces the dough. (If it does, it's not a big deal.) Heat some canola oil in a frying pan. When hot, add a paratha. With a spoon, smear a little oil on the top of the paratha. After a minute, flip. Keep frying and flipping until the dough is crispy and browning - the meat will be hot. Consume with yogurt and coriander chutney. Eat too many of them.

The original recipe I have calls for a delicious potato filling - it's a carb explosion, and so good. This is a little more of a meal. I made it with bharta (eggplant) and a small bit of tandoori fish, because I wanted plenty of leftovers. Yum.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home