Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Twitch

Every once and a while I get jumpy, alone in this house.

Today was one of those days. As I check the mail box, I found a cigarette stub, on the corner of the deck and the two stairs. Long extinguished, but, you know, there. Unexplained. (Probably the mailman, but still.) So that made me a little jumpy anyway.

Then, 15 minutes later, I've unpacked my bag, dealt with some stuff. It's late - I didn't get home until after 8, and really dark out. I've made a pot of jasmine tea, wrapped the presents for my mom's birthday tomorrow, and am about to settle down to watch About a Boy and work on my obscene cross stitch.

Suddenly, a slam comes from the room behind me - for all the world like a door slamming shut. I freeze, feeling my blood turn to ice. I creep back in to the kitchen, already prepared to lose my mind.

My backpack had slipped off the counter, and, still having contained a journal, 2 books and some tupperware, slammed in to the floor with the crash.

My face was tingly numbed and I was shaking so hard I couldn't cross stitch for a good fifteen minutes more.

Oh yeah, I'm coping with this just fine.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:37 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

It happens.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home