Thursday, April 10, 2008

I am tired and my body is confused. (I am tanned though.)

Travel is so disorienting. I just got back from the Middle East again (and I do love that sentence, so please excuse the pretentiousness that drips off of it) and am feeling deeply dislocated. I walked out of work yesterday at 4 (boss and I both snuck out early) in to nice afternoon sunshine. The day before, at 4 (clock time, because who the hell knows what time the body thinks it is) I was standing in a bookstore in Heathrow buying trashy UK magazines. The day before I was in Muscat, in a museum of Omani history. The day before that, I was snorkeling in the Gulf of Oman, getting stung by microscopic jelly fish. They day before, I was in the backcountry of Oman in an expensive 4x4 landrover, truly in the middle of nowhere.

Today we're having a freak snowstorm. This weekend it's supposed to be +20 in Calgary. Last week in Nizwa our car registered +40. I'm going snowboarding soon. My body spent 9 days with an eleven hour time difference, and I transitioned home a little better than last time, but I'm still so very tired. I was tired the whole time there too - I don't think I made it to midnight more than one night all trip.

(The trip, of course, was fabulous and wonderful and amazing and crazy and expensive.
Full of ocean and mountains and tent camping at the highest peak and being upgrade gratis to a six star resort and a landrover and a yaris and backcountry dust and souqs and goats and seeing grinding poverty and true opulence and pretty much living out a national geographic special in the back country. Really fucking amazing, all told. Pictures to follow, probably. I also do a powerpoint for friends and family - if you have any interest, I can email it to you. I am a nerd.)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home